Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My First Overseas Assignment

I suppose I'm fated to Hainan Island, doubted as the Hawaii of the East. This I can truly agree when the sun is out and the ocean shimmers with sparkling diamond. Led a tour to Hainan from 05-10 October. Was raining from Day 1 to 4; one moment it was rain, the other moment it was sunny. Typhoon season marked my first overseas assignment! Mr. Sun finally showed his face on Day 5 for the whole day, so that my group had a happy ending after all.

My clients were good people, mostly elderlies, with only two 1987's girls who were friendly. Never before have I PR with so many people (25 in total) and for so long hours (from morning call to end of day). I hate meal time as I had to sit with the tour guide and driver because we simply have nothing to talk about. Our meals weren't as fantastic as those clients, and one aunty sent twice of their leftover food for us.

Rainy weather on the first few days had greatly dampened my already anxious mood, to the point I hated morning call so much because it's time to get on stage!

Company-paid tours aren't as good as what some clients may think. Firstly, I can't sleep well knowing that I'm on 24-hour standby. Secondly, I have to wake up at 6am instead of my usual 8.15am. Thirdly, I don't end my day until at least 8pm. Fourthly, I have to assign rooms taking into consideration requests for adjoining room. Lastly, I brought my loads of clients to the wrong flight check-in zone and made them walk a mile with my company's flag flying high.

Back to office again tomorrow. Have to face stupid computer and idiotic phone.